Ship registration under Lithuanian flag
The vessel might be registered under the Lithuanian flag if the owner of the vessel is the company registered in Lithuania, (or the individual with Lithuanian citizenship or permanent residenceship). Therefore, at beginning it is required to register limited liability company in Lithuania. To change ownership of the vessel and sign the Bill of sale the vessel might be registered only on the bases of a bare boat charter contract or management contract concluded between the ship-owner and the Lithuanian bare boat charterer or the management company in Lithuania.
For preparing documents required for registration of the company following information is required:
- Preferable name of the company (in order to check whether this name is free for registration);
- Information on shareholders (copies of passport or registration certificates; address);
- Information on the share capital;
- Preferable bank;
- Information on the Board member of company; ( 1 is minimum required) (copies of passport; address);
- Address of the company.
For commencing of the registration process more detailed information on the vessel would be required:
- Application to register a vessel;
- A document in evidence of personal identity if a charterer is a Lithuanian citizen;
- The original or a notarized copy of a bareboat charter, specifying the name of a ship, the data on ship’s owner and charterer, the date of concluded bareboat charter and its expiry date;
- The original certificate issued by a manager of ships register of a foreign state specifying the owner of a ship and the holder of its collateral, security, mortgage or liens to the rights to the ship;
- The original document issued by a manager of ships register of a foreign state confirming the suspension of the right to fly the flag of the state where the ship is registered during the period of bareboat charter;
- The original of consent of a chartered ship owner confirming that the ship can be temporarily registered at the Register of Seagoing Ships of the Republic of Lithuania during the period of bareboat charter;
- A copy of a ship measurement certificate issued by a classificatory company;
- A copy of a ship class certificate issued by a classificatory company;
- Deed of the initial ship survey if the survey has been done by an authorized classificatory company.
A chartered ship during the entire period of its registration at the Register of Seagoing Ships of Lithuania can fly only the Lithuanian Flag. The name of a ship registered at the ships register of a foreign state is recognized.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact our English speaking attorneys at law at email@example.com